Geothermal Energy Capacity Building in Egypt (GEB)
GEB is looking for building the capacity in a new environmentally friendly energy era exploited from the Egyptian territories. GEB will create the first wave of Egyptian students and entrepreneurs able to secure jobs, and open businesses, to harness the under-utilized geothermal resources available in Egypt.
GEB has two main major milestones. The first is to build the capacity of the Egyptian HEIs partners (academic staff and laboratories) in the field of geothermal energy. The second is to develop the first graduate diploma of geothermal energy engineering in Egypt based on the European standards.
The main objective of this diploma is supplying the local market with its demand of qualified engineers/graduates in the field of geothermal energy investigation, systems design, and project management with available technologies customized to the different applications of geothermal energy in the national circumstances.
The project activities aim at raising the level of awareness of the community and decision makers to the geothermal energy potentials in Egypt.
- Improving the scientific skills of the Egyptian staff.
- The establishment of the first educational geothermal pilot system (heating & cooling) in Egypt.
- The establishment of geothermal integrated laboratories in Egyptian HEIs.
- Building a new graduate engineering diploma in geothermal energy in Egypt.
- Constructing an Egyptian-European collaboration.
- Raising the awareness of the importance of geothermal energy in Egypt.
- Setting up a stable network between the participating Egyptian HEIs in the geothermal energy field.
The expected outcomes/outputs of GEB:
- The first educational geothermal energy pilot plant in Egypt
- Development of stronger academia -industry network between EG HEIs and local enterprises in the field of geothermal energy.
- The geothermal energy-engineering diploma.
- Integrated geothermal energy laboratories at the participating EG HEIs.
- Raising national awareness about the benefits of the geothermal energy.
- Cairo University,
- Suez canal University,
- Ain shams University,
- Aswan University,
- Egypt Japan University Of Science and Technology
- SOUTH VALLEY EGYPTIAN PETROLEUM HOLDING COMPANY (GANOPE)
- NEW AND RENEWABLE ENERGY AUTHORITY (NREA)
- University of Bologna
- University of Valladolid
- University of Zagreb
The Future of Energy
A cooperation is formed, between the Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, represented by GANOPE, and the Ministry of Electricity and Energy represented by the Egyptian New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA), and Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research represented by National Research Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics (NRIAG), aiming to study and implement the usage of Geothermal Energy.
A preliminary survey to identify the geographical distribution of heat within the Earth’s crust has been reviewed along with the regions to be prioritized. GANOPE is willing to prepare a techno economic feasibility study to implement the first power plant to produce electricity from Geothermal Energy in Egypt.